Saturday, March 13, 2010

It's the grammatically incorrect part that got to me.

So tonight I was accused of being loquacious. I would not mind if the word didn't have such negative connotations and the woman in question hadn't been so damnably condescending about it. The condescension gets me the most. I was talking about the topic at dinner, not swaying from it, and had some rather interesting things to say, when the woman interrupts me. "Do you know what loquacious means?" she asked. I'm a writer, damn it. I don't have the vocabulary of a third grader. "Yes," I answered, to which she requested I define it. I don't memorize definitions word for word because I have much better things to do than read the dictionary for the sake of knowledge (which is what I suspect the woman of doing) but I was able to define it well enough. Then she used the word, incorrectly I might add, saying I was a "loquacious talker." Really, lady? Really? I've been told, so I have reason to believe, that I'm rather eloquent. However, the woman is ridiculously self-centered and couldn't stand that I'd been talking for a few minutes. I, being descended from the woman and most annoyed, looked pointedly at her, and said, "Wow, I wonder where I get that from? Your side of the family, certainly!" I really do hope she got my point and was sufficiently offended, because she made me seriously angry, completely spoiling my appetite for what I suspect was excellent food. The thing was that her attack blindsided me. Grandmothers are supposed to be the last person in the world to attack one. However, this one seems to have a most peculiar predisposition toward destructive emotional attack. The woman is forever telling boring anecdotes about how much people love her. I'm glad for her. If the general public is so adoring of the woman, I see no reason why I should have to be around a person who waits until I'm wholly unsuspecting to insult me in a rude and grammatically incorrect way.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete