Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'm screwed up, and I blame society.

Will someone please explain to me why I have overwhelming feelings of apathy? Why, even though I know it's bad for me, I persist to dance on injured knees? Why I am so discontented with my body image?
Society.
Society has been telling me (even though I have always been relatively protected) that I must be skinnier, prettier, smarter, more athletic, and be exceptional in some way. Society's a bitch.
Can't I just be good at a variety of things, instead of specializing in one field? Reality tells me no, but I'm having a hard time accepting reality. Can't I be a writer, dancer, website designer, actress, and musician?
Society says no. It says you're not talented enough to write, you're never skinny enough to dance, you're not slutty enough to act, and well you're not talented enough to be a musician. Bull.
Writing requires no talent. That's a lie of society. While weight is a factor, I know dozens of talented, non-emaciated dancers. Society is why most actresses have to be sluts to get a start. Music simply requires willingness to expand and learn.
Is society telling me these things, or am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment