Monday, April 12, 2010

Son of the Mud Puddle

Once upon a Time, I lived in pleasant peace, not bothered in any way by a monster. I had previously had one harrowing experience with the beast, but it was in the past, happily distant.
Until that night.
I drove home from my unfortunately discouraging ballet class, happily unaware of the monster that was inhabiting my driveway. As I drove down my street, revving through an innocent puddle, I realized with a shock that The Mud Puddle, which had tried to claim my life once before, had appeared in just this kind of weather. I shuddered slightly, and told myself that the puddle would not be back. It had slunk off before, and could not have possible survived the dryness since. I had not considered the water cycle.
As I pulled into my muddy driveway, I heard an ominous splash. I braked abruptly, turned off the radio, and accelerated slowly. I had not been mistaken-- my tires had splashed. The Mud Puddle had returned.
I pulled forward into my parking spot and turned off the car. I had to get to the house or risk being killed in the car. I prayed the monster wasn't yet aware of my presence. I opened the door slowly. The monster was still sloshing around my tires, identifying the object that was embedded in it. I couldn't see where the bounds of the puddle ended. I was as good as trapped. If I leaped out of the car and didn't make it far enough, the mud puddle would instantly consume me. If I overshot the puddle, I would hit the fence, and inevitably lose my balance and fall into my wet, muddy doom.
I breathed deeply. My lack of a working passenger side door limited my options severely.
I leaped.
My foot squished into the muddy edge of the puddle. The Mud Puddle reared up, grabbing at my heels, but I had already slammed my door and taken off running. The splashes behind me on the walkway were chilling to hear, and I screamed as I sprinted to the house. I burst inside and slammed the door just in time. The puddle burst against the door with a huge splash. I sunk down on the floor, panting.
Dodging death is serious business.

No comments:

Post a Comment