Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Heart is not for Rent

Today is Valentine's day, a day that is similarly loved and loathed by the masses. Conveniently, yesterday's message in Church was about love. My pastor made an interesting point about Romance-- He cited a young man he knows, who consistently emails my pastor about his romantic endeavors, which are usually along the lines of "I met a girl" or "I'm no longer seeing this girl." My pastor's advice is always the same; "Stay focused on God."

Being a young, single female in 21st century American society isn't always the easiest thing. Societal pressures indicate that everyone should either being seeing someone or sleeping around. The masses don't understand the concept that a woman can be contented in a state of single solidarity.

I decided that this continued state of datingness from shockingly young ages (first boyfriend at age ten, anyone?) is a symptom of a Godless society, and since God is Love, therefore a loveless society.

Basically, people are spending so much of their lives looking for "THE ONE" or just bouncing from relationship to relationship that they take no time for personal spiritual enrichment, which is nigh impossible to find when your only personal value is derived from the attentions of another person, because people are fallible and will not give you the value that you seek.

People do not understand that the significant others which they perpetually have are also looking for someone to imbue them with value, and therefore relationships are entirely taking-based, which is why they tend to burn out quickly.

I am going to spend the next while searching for value in a place where I am assured I can find it, and without such risk for personal damage-- in God.

The urge to be in a relationship is really pointless at this stage in my life, anyway, and would probably just lead to a bummer of a breakup.

I could be wrong, though.

1 comment:

  1. This is Jesse Wilson. (just thought I'd note that at the top, since i'm not sure if this thing will share who is posting the comment)

    You are far more on track than you could possibly imagine. Take it from Paul in 1st Corinthians, it is good to be in a relationship if you must, but if you don't feel it necessary at the time or don't actually have someone specifically that you are pursuing genuinely and not just because you want 'someone,' then single is a far better way to be. Relationships are complicated and confusing and when one enters into such a commitment without first being focused on God, it will ultimately fall apart. I've seen it more times than I can count. I'm glad you have seen this and once the time comes when a relationship is good for you and will help you to grow further in God, instead of take away from your faith, it will happen. It is a beautiful thing to have a relationship that is based in love and selflessness and glorifies God first and foremost, but that cannot come without placing your relationship with God first. Keep being awesome, Bethany!!

    ReplyDelete