Thursday, January 28, 2010

I suppose this is what they call a retraction.

I have a horrible confession to make. It's terrible, hypocritical, awful, and embarrassing. Please, for your own sake, don't read further.
I have begun to develop a love for reporting. Spare me the comments, I know I just wrote a blog ripping reporters. That blog still stands, but I have discovered what makes them tick. You see, I am an insatiably curious person. I love finding things out and telling people about them. The trait that I lack is the feeling that I have a right to know everything. I would like to know everything, certainly, but I do know that there are some things best left private. I, for example, don't want to know about every time Britney Spears gets another DUII, and I don't think it's any of the public's business. I spent Wednesday gathering information for my first news story for my class, and I realized how fascinating people can be, and how nice they are about talking to you. Not only did it restore my faith in humanity, but it whetted my curiosity, and I've never wanted to know more about humanity than I have at this moment in time. I am an incurable people watcher, and I just never thought about talking to the interesting people and listening to what they have to say. That's what I've come to love about reporting--the human aspect. I still would not be a journalism major if you paid me, but I am considering seeking a position at the college newspaper. Call me a hypocrite, because I am, but I have begun to love the profession I love to hate.

No comments:

Post a Comment