Thursday, August 19, 2010

Summertime

Summer always lends itself to marvelous adventures. Everyone wants to take advantage of the oh-so-brief hiatus from school, so everyone is more daring than usual. Therefore, strange adventures such as boar hunting, Disney singing, and beach combing take place with alarmingly awesome regularity.

Please do not think I don't enjoy these adventures-- quite the contrary, I love them very much. However, I am worried that when my life returns to some mundane routine I'll be so bored with everything that I'll fail everything.

Basically that sums up why I'm blogging right now. I have been unfortunately absent from blogging this summer, but it's because I've been having grand adventures, contemplating the future, and composing lame songs about punctuation.

Actually, I shall sum up the bodacity of my summer. First of all, I co-directed the Princess and the Pea with Jeni Campbell-White at Children's Theatre Company this summer. It was a fantastic experience, though stressful. I really hope to get the opportunity to direct more plays.

While that was going on, there were many lake and river-related adventures, as well as a few driving around at night going random places and visiting random people adventures.

After the play was over, I went to Washington to hang out with my aunt, uncle, and cousin. Fortunately, they all had to work most of the time I was there, so I got to hang out with my cousin's girlfriend, which was awesome.

Then I went camping with Hailey and her parents, and did not wrestle a bear.

Now I sit here, at my beautiful still-new computer, and write to you.

I guess the point of this blog is that I don't know what I'm doing this fall. I'm considering quitting school and just kicking it into high gear with my writing, but I'm afraid that without serious motivation (read: cattle prodding) I wouldn't get anything done. If this summer is any indicator, when I have free time I tend to squander it.

However, my mom gave me some wonderful advice. Just do the next thing that makes sense, and trust God to close any doors that He's decided aren't the right one for me to go through. My future is murkily confusing right now, but, like most lives, I suppose I'll do all right.

I guess I just have this irrational fear of making a decision now that affects me for the rest of my life, for I feel I am at a turning point in my career decision-making process. I guess I'm terrified of making a poor decision and regretting it forever.

But I shall continue to wade through the murky swamp that I see ahead of me, hoping I don't trip and fall on my face in the mud.

Hopefully the swamp will give way to clear water, or even better, dry land, within the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment